BX of Napa Wines - In progress: please sit back & have wine w/me while I work...
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Drinking Wine is Better Than Going to the Gym, According to Scientists
Red Wine Makes You Thin!??
Cheers to our HEALTH! Really. "Champagne" [sparkling wines] are good for you
Bex, BX Bubbles, Champagne, Prosseco ... and the town of Prošek
Low-Cal Cocktails (Even Tho Wine is Healthiest)

Categories

UK
Vinho Verde
Wine Genome Project
powered by

Wine Health with Bex Bishop, Winemaker at BX of Napa

Saponins, Anyone? Another Chemical in Red Wine Fights Cholesterol

If you enjoy sharing a glass of a nice red wine with friends and family, you may be working on reducing your cholesterol while you're relaxing. Scientists at the University of California, Davis, think that a group of chemicals in red wine, called saponins, are linked to the ability to lower cholesterol. If you have been following the discussions on the French paradox you are already familiar with the link between red wine and reduced risk of heart disease. ..Yet it seems that folks who grow up in France tend to have less clogged arteries and are less obese than Americans or Brits. For years this has been attributed to red wines' health benefits – specifically the compounds catechins and resveratrol, called polyphenols, found in red wine. These chemicals also have antioxidant or anticancer properties.

Andrew Waterhouse, Ph.D., Professor of Enology at UC Davis, an expert in wine chemistry, says that saponins are being found in an increasing number of foods and their presence in wine adds to the mounting evidence that red wine really may make a difference in lowering your cholesterol. "Saponins are a hot new food ingredient. People are just starting to pay attention to it," says Waterhouse. It seems that red wine contains about three to ten times as much saponin as white. This is probably because the saponins are found in the skins of the grapes and red wines have longer contact with their skins in the fermentation process.

The tests showed that the Red Zinfandel has the highest levels of saponins followed by Syrah. Both Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon had about the same amount. No other red wines were tested, but scientists believe that most red wines contain significant amounts of this chemical.

11 Comments to Saponins, Anyone? Another Chemical in Red Wine Fights Cholesterol:

Comments RSS
Skin Care Austin on Monday, December 03, 2012 2:22 AM
Saponins present in Red wine seems to be a useful substance.It helps in reducing cholesterol and risk of heart disease.Thanks for writing an informative blog.
Reply to comment

Responsible serving of alcohol on Sunday, December 09, 2012 2:20 AM
I must appreciate and mention that you completely know how to keep connected reader to blog post even if it is little long. Very good job.
Reply to comment

creativebioscience.com on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:33 AM
Refrain from sleeping or allowing the person who consumed too much alcohol to fall asleep. You do not want them to become unconscious or fall into a coma which can eventually lead to death. Check the person's pulse and be sure they stay awake. Thanks.
Reply to comment

Kamagra Dropshipper on Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:48 AM
This post is very informative and helpful for me. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us.
Reply to comment

Lasik eye on Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:41 PM
I have heard about Saponins for the first time.It seems to be very useful in fighting cholesterol.Thanks for the post.
Reply to comment

onsite first aid training on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:16 PM
Awesome information you have provided in your post. I also do not know about this property of red wine. I am really glad to read this content.
Reply to comment

Massage Therapy Courses on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:19 AM
I am thanking you very much for this update about red wine, you have good knowledge about how to write blogs, I appreciate your skill.
Reply to comment

Pharmacy Wholesalers on Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:53 PM
It's really pleasure to read your post. Thank you so much for writing such a nice post.
Reply to comment

laser skin treatment on Monday, May 06, 2013 1:52 AM
i really like your research work about the red wine and how it is beneficial for the body thanks..
Reply to comment

ladies luxury watches on Sunday, January 04, 2015 2:33 AM
The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my option to learn, however I actually thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you may fix if you happen to werent too busy searching for attention.
Reply to comment

Generic Drug Online on Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:43 AM
Interesting Blog...Thanks for Sharing!!
Reply to comment